When it comes to streaming video, YouTube is a household name, making YouTube TV, Google’s live TV streaming service, a natural choice for many. Specifically designed for cord-cutters seeking to break free from cable or satellite subscriptions, YouTube TV competes with other streaming television services like DirecTV Stream, Sling TV, FuboTV, and Hulu With Live TV.
YouTube TV offers a unique blend of features that have made it immensely popular, solidifying its position as the leading service in the United States, boasting approximately 5 million paid subscribers as of June 2022—a significant increase of 2 million since October 2020. Its popularity can be attributed to several factors. YouTube TV is user-friendly, provides a comprehensive selection of channels that rivals its competitors, and offers competitive pricing. Moreover, it is compatible with a wide range of modern devices. Notably, the extensive marketing efforts by its parent company, Alphabet (also known as Google), have contributed to its success.
One notable advantage of YouTube TV is its ability to stream live TV in 4K resolution, making it one of the few options available for this feature. But that’s not all—YouTube TV has recently become the exclusive home of NFL Sunday Ticket, a highly anticipated addition for sports enthusiasts.
As time has passed, YouTube TV has continually improved and expanded its offerings. There’s a lot to explore and appreciate about this streaming service.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the following key aspects of YouTube TV:
- User-Friendly Interface: Discover how YouTube TV’s intuitive interface makes navigating the platform a breeze.
- Channel Lineup: Explore the extensive selection of channels available, ensuring there’s something for everyone’s viewing preferences.
- Competitive Pricing: Learn about YouTube TV’s pricing options and find the plan that best suits your budget and needs.
- Device Compatibility: Gain insights into the wide range of devices on which you can enjoy YouTube TV, including TVs, smartphones, tablets, and more.
- Live 4K Streaming: Unveil the exclusive ability to stream live TV content in stunning 4K resolution.
- NFL Sunday Ticket: Find out about the exciting addition of NFL Sunday Ticket to YouTube TV’s lineup, bringing the thrill of football directly to your screen.
- How to Cancel: If you ever need to cancel your YouTube TV subscription, we’ll guide you through the simple cancellation process.
Join us as we explore the ins and outs of YouTube TV, helping you make the most of this feature-rich streaming service.
What exactly is YouTube TV?
In simple terms, it is a live TV streaming service exclusively available in the United States. Designed as an alternative to traditional cable or satellite subscriptions, YouTube TV allows you to stream TV content via the Internet on various devices such as phones, tablets, TVs, and web browsers. With YouTube TV, you can enjoy television shows just as you always have, whether at home or on the go, as long as you have an internet connection.
Initially, YouTube TV had limited availability in specific regions when it launched in 2017. However, a significant expansion in 2019 brought support to all 210 markets across the United States. Over the years, YouTube TV has substantially broadened its channel lineup and currently offers an impressive selection of more than 110 channels. This includes major national broadcasters like ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox. Please note that channel availability may slightly vary depending on your location, so it’s essential to check with your ZIP code to confirm the specific channels accessible to you.
Although YouTube TV shares some branding with YouTube, they remain separate entities. While you may notice similarities in the branding and YouTube TV being a subdomain of YouTube, the content experience is distinct. As of now, you won’t find recommendations for YouTubers or YouTube Shorts integrated into the YouTube TV platform. However, you might come across recommendations for movies and shows available for rent or purchase through regular YouTube. The distinction between the two services continues to evolve, with occasional blurring of the lines over time.
When comparing YouTube TV with other live TV streaming services, its primary competitor is Hulu With Live TV. Both services offer compelling options, and choosing between them depends on your specific preferences and requirements.
This comprehensive guide will provide you with all the information you need to navigate the world of YouTube TV. From understanding its features and channel offerings to exploring device compatibility and highlighting its key distinctions from regular YouTube, we aim to equip you with the knowledge necessary to make informed decisions about your streaming needs.
YouTube TV price and add-ons
As of March 2023, YouTube TV has undergone a price increase and now costs $73 per month (excluding tax), which brings the total closer to $77 per month after tax considerations.
While the base subscription cost covers the core offering, it’s important to note that YouTube TV provides several optional add-ons to enhance your viewing experience. These add-ons come at an additional cost. One notable addition is the ability to watch select shows, sports, and movies in 4K resolution on YouTube TV, opening up a new level of visual quality.
Furthermore, YouTube TV introduced a separate plan tailored specifically for Spanish-speaking viewers, aptly named the “Spanish Plan.” This plan is priced at $25 per month for the first six months and increases to $35 per month thereafter. The Spanish Plan includes a comprehensive lineup of channels, such as beIN ñ, beIN Xtra en Español, Antena 3, NTN 24, Nuestra Tele, TyC Sports, Discovery en Espanol, Discovery Familia, Baby TV Espanol, ESPN Deportes, Nat Geo Mundo, Estrella TV, Fox Deportes, Cine Latino, Pasiones, WAPA América, Cine Mexicano, Sony Cine, Tastemade, CNN Espanol, Bandamax, De Pelicula, De Pelicula Clasico, FOROtv, Telehit, Telehit Urbano, and Tlnovelas.
To further enhance your YouTube TV experience, you can choose from a range of optional add-ons, including:
- 4K Plus ($5 per month for the first 12 months; $10 per month thereafter): Unlock the ability to watch select shows and series in 4K resolution. Experience enhanced visual quality with popular titles like What We Do In The Shadows, Struggle Meals, American Titans, Snowfall, and more. Additionally, enjoy the thrill of live sports from networks such as ESPN, Fox Sports, and NBC Sports in 4K. 4K Plus also includes offline viewing of recorded shows and allows simultaneous streaming on multiple devices within your home network.
- Spanish Plus ($10 per month for the first six months; $15 per month thereafter): Access a comprehensive collection of Spanish-language channels, including Antena 3, Baby TV Español, Bandamax, beIN Sports Español, beIN XTRA en Español, Cine Latino, Cine Mexicano, CNNe, De Película, De Película Clásico, Discovery en Español, Discovery Familia, ESPN Deportes, EstrellaTV, FOROtv, Fox Deportes, Nat Geo Mundo, NTN 24, Nuestra Tele, Pasiones, SonyCine, Tastemade en Español, Telehit, Telehit Música, Tlnovelas, TyC Sports, Universo, and WAPA.
- Premium Network Add-Ons:
- HBO Max ($13 per month): Access new HBO Max Originals, legacy HBO content, and included networks.
- HBO ($16 per month): Enjoy HBO programming without HBO Max content.
- Showtime ($11 per month): Explore premium movies and series, including a seven-day free trial.
- Starz ($9 per month): Access a wide range of premium movies and series.
- Cinemax ($10 per month): Discover premium movies and series, including a seven-day free trial.
- AMC+ ($8 per month): Access additional streaming-only content from AMC.
- Acorn TV ($7 per month): Enjoy popular British hits.
- Shudder ($6 per month): Dive into a world of new and classic horror.
- Sundance Now ($7 per month): Explore the streaming arm of Sundance Channel.
- IFC Films Unlimited ($6 per month): Access the best of indie films.
- MGM+ ($6 per month): Enjoy a selection of content from the legendary studio.
- Hallmark Movies Now ($6 per month): Delight in beloved movies and series from Hallmark, including a seven-day free trial.
YouTube TV channels
When it comes to channel offerings, YouTube TV competes strongly with other comparable streaming services, particularly Hulu With Live TV, which boasts a similar number of subscribers. YouTube TV provides a diverse range of both linear and nonlinear channels, offering a competitive selection for viewers.
The key is to examine the details. If YouTube TV includes the channels you desire, that’s fantastic! However, if certain channels are missing, you may need to explore alternative options. This healthy competition drives innovation and choice in the streaming market.
As of February 2023, the main YouTube TV plan includes the following channels:
ABC, ABC News Live, ACC Network, AMC, Animal Planet, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, BET Her, Bounce, Bravo, BTN, Cartoon Network, CBS, CBS Sports, Charge!, Cheddar News, CMT, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Comedy.TV, Comet TV, Court TV, Cozi, Dabl, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN in 4K, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Food Network, Fox, Fox Business, Fox News, Fox Soul, Fox Sports 4K, Fox Sports Plus 4K, Fox Weather, Freeform, FS1, FS2, FX, FXM, FXX, Galavision, Game Show Network, GetTV, Golf Channel, Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Drama, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, HLN, HSN, ID, IFC, ION, JusticeCentral.TV, LiveNOW, Local Now, Magnolia Network, MotorTrend, MSNBC, MTV, MTV Classic, MTV2, Nat Ceo, Nat Geo Wild, NBA TV, NBA TV in 4K, NBC, NBC News Now, NBC Sports 4K, NBCLX, NewsNation, NFL Network, Nick Jr., Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, OWN, Oxygen True Crime, Paramount, PBS, PBS Kids, Pop, QVC, Recipe.TV, Scripps News, SEC Network, Smithsonian Channel, Start TV, Sundance TV, SYFY, T2, Tastemade, TBD TV, TBS, TeenNick, Telemundo, The CW, The Weather Channel, TLC, TNT, Travel Channel, truTV, TUDN, Turner Classic Movies, TV Land, TYT Network, UniMas, Universal Kids, Univision, USA, VH1, WE tv.
An exciting feature of YouTube TV is the ability to hide specific channels if desired. This functionality allows you to customize your channel guide, ensuring it only displays the channels you frequently watch.
It’s worth noting that local broadcast channels should also be included in the above channel listings, providing access to content from your local area.
YouTube TV offers a robust lineup of channels to cater to a wide range of viewing preferences. Explore the extensive selection and enjoy the flexibility of customizing your channel guide according to your preferences.
How to cancel YouTube TV
Canceling your YouTube TV subscription is straightforward, similar to other streaming services. Follow these steps to cancel your membership:
- Visit the YouTube TV website: Go to tv.youtube.com and sign in to your YouTube TV account.
- Access Settings: Once signed in, navigate to the Settings section of your account.
- Manage Membership: Look for the Membership option within the Settings menu and click on it.
- Cancel Membership: In the Membership section, locate the option to cancel your membership and select it.
Upon canceling your membership, please note that your access to YouTube TV will remain active until the end of your current billing period. This means you can still enjoy YouTube TV on the web and all your connected devices during this time.
However, once your billing period concludes and the payment is not renewed, you will lose access to all live TV streaming content.
Additionally, after 21 days without payment on the account, any recorded programs stored on your YouTube TV account will also be removed.
It’s important to consider the timing of your cancellation to ensure you can continue enjoying YouTube TV until the end of your billing cycle and to prevent any loss of recorded programs.
By following these steps, you can easily cancel your YouTube TV membership and manage your streaming preferences accordingly.