This past Saturday, President Donald Trump sent a public tweet threatening North Korea. Twitter came under the radar as to why they didn’t remove the tweet and in part because it’s newsworthy, the company said. Twitter said that it will work to update its public guidelines on what factors may lead to a tweet being removed or allowed to stay on its platform.
Twitter’s public policy account this after wrote that “This has long been internal policy, and we’ll soon update our public-facing rules to reflect it.” In addition, they stated that “We need to do better on this, and will.”
Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 24, 2017
Since the 2016 primaries controversy, many have debated if Twitter should ban Trump’s account or hide some of his tweets, which often insult or berate other individuals and companies. So far, Twitter hasn’t done anything specifically, but the issue has now come up again today after North Korea said it took US President’s tweet as a “clear declaration of war.”
Twitter’s answer essentially tells us that they will not censor Trump’s account. Instead, anything the President says is newsworthy, which means none of his tweets will be deleted or hidden from the platform.