F

Ford ‘overestimated’ self-driving cars, CEO says

Ford ‘overestimated’ Self-driving Cars, Ceo Says

Ford’s plans for self-driving cars have not been going well apparently. Ford CEO Jim Hackett admitted that the automaker’s first self-driving cars will have limits. “We overestimated the arrival of autonomous vehicles,” said Hackett speaking at a Detroit Economic Club event on Tuesday.

Ford still plans to launch a fleet of self-driving vehicles in 2021. Hackett added that “its applications will be narrow, what we call geo-fenced, because the problem is so complex.”

Details regarding the progress of Ford’s self-driving fleet come nearly six months after Sherif Markaby, CEO of autonomous vehicles, provided details on the company’s self-driving car service in a Medium post. So far, Ford has invested over $ billion in self-driving development through 2023. This includes over $1 billion investment in Argo AI, an artificial intelligence company responsible for creating a virtual driver system.

Ford is currently testing its self-driving vehicles in Miami, Washington, D.C. and Detroit. Hackett may have shed some reality into self-driving vehicles and how Ford is progressing, he did say he firmly believes in the technology and its potential.

Hamza Khalid

Hamza Khalid is the Lead Editor at The Jolt Journal. You're more than welcome to follow him on Twitter and follow The Jolt Journal on Twitter and Facebook. If you have any questions, concerns, or need to report something in this article, please send our team an email at [email protected] This story may be updated at any time if new information surfaces.

At The Jolt Journal, no one tells us what to write or how to write it. This is why, in the era of lies and bias, readers turn to an independent source. Rest assured, all information on our website is free of any bias or influence. If you see anything wrong with a story, please don't hesitate to reach out. We do our very best to report on the latest available information.

Leave a Reply